LOFT CONVERSION in CAMBRIDGE
The Loft Professionals Ltd Guide to Loft Conversions
Our guide aims to help you answer any questions you might have regarding your attic conversion, from ‘can I convert my loft’ to what ‘roof windows are best for a loft conversion?’
Why you should convert your loft
- If you are considering expanding your property and wondering how best to utalize the space around you, a loft conversion could be the answer.
- Building upwards can be one of the most cost-effective and straightforward ways of creating more space in the home. Small loft conversions and loft conversions on a larger scale are increasingly popular choices for homeowners looking to find extra living room without having to move home.
- Whether the kids have returned from university or you are moving your parents in, a loft conversion can be the ideal fit whatever your plans.
Loft conversion ideas
- VELUX pitched roof windows are the perfect choice to bring your new space to life and connect it to the outdoors by introducing natural sunlight.
- VELUX are leaders in manufacturing centre pivot windows for healthy ventilation, while outwardly opening top hung windows for superior, eye level views with no sash to interfere. For bedrooms, Noise reduction windows are perfect for keeping out unwanted noise and ensuring a good night’s sleep.
- If you plan on having an en-suite bathroom as part of your loft conversion, VELUX obscure-glazed windows will give you complete privacy as you bathe under the sun.
- Bluetooth adapter allows you to operate your Skylark through your smartphone.
- For the ultimate in convenience, VELUX INTEGRA windows can be opened by the click of a button, with your smart phone or even atuomatically with VELUX ACTIVE.
VELUX Extension v Dormer
- The most immediate thing to consider when planning for your loft conversion is ‘can I convert my loft?’ This is a sensible question to ask as not all roof structures can be converted. Different roofs require different work with some structures requiring planning permission while others do not.
- VELUX loft conversions, which sees one or multiple VELUX windows affixed to the roof in order to introduce light, are generally very cost-effective and do not normally need planning permission. Even the groundbreaking VELUX CABRIO balcony system does not require planning permission for homes not in conservation areas.
- If you do not have enough head height in your loft, you may need to build a dormer, a small flat roofed extension with a window. This type of extension will typically cost a lot more money and require special loft conversion planning permission.
- The Planning Portal can provide a full picture on the limits and conditions of your conversion and is where most planning permissions in England and Wales are now submitted through.
How much does a loft conversion cost?
- Naturally, the price of a loft conversion will depend on the size of your house, the amount of rooms required and where you live.
- On average, VELUX loft conversions, including the installation of VELUX pitched roof windows, will cost upwards of £20,000, while the average Dormer loft conversion with a double bedroom and en-suite can cost around £35,000–£45,000.
- Again, the scale of your project will determine how long your loft conversion takes to complete, but on average it takes one to two months.
- To keep costs down, consider quality roof windows from VELUX sister brand, RoofLITE or energy friendly triple glazed windows from ECO+.
Get a Free No-obligation quote today
- Free estimate within 24 hours
- No-obligation quote & home assessment visit
- 5 years’ guarantee